Enjoy the feeling of achieving your goals!
- Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out. - Robert Collier
The key to keeping on track to personal success is to have a plan, work the plan and monitor your progress. The plan usually consists of a number of short term and long term goals which in turn creates a list of daily, weekly, monthly activities which you need to do to achieve the goal.
Monitoring your progress is arguably the most important step in the process. Monitoring allows you
- to celebrate your little wins along the way and gives you energy to keep going,
- identify quickly when you are straying off track ad serves as a reminder to refocus, and
- helps you assess whether your plan is working.
Now, everyone falls off the band wagon at least sometime. Usually it happens once and you think "it's okay because you will start up again tomorrow."
Sometimes tomorrow comes and you let yourself off by telling yourself there is a good reason you can't do it today. Maybe something totally unavoidable came in and you really couldn't do what you said you were going to do. Work commitments crop up, a child had to be rushed to the doctors because she fell off her bike racing the boys in the street or something else genuinely happened.
Or maybe your heart really isn't in the change you thought you wanted to make (REFER Tip 1) and you are coming up with some really creative avoidance excuses not to do what you said you wanted to do.
My personal one is "I need to do the ironing". I dislike ironing with a passion and always know when I come up with this as an excuse that I am trying to avoid something.
Anyway, regardless of the reason, before you know it days and weeks have past and you can't remember when you stopped thinking about the change you wanted to make and you are back into the craziness of life and have lost track.
You might be amazed to know that the space shuttle is on track only 3% of the time on it's journey to the moon. The rest of the time there is someone at mission control who is tweaking dials, pressing buttons and changing the heading to get the craft back on track. Each moment they are collecting data and making corrections and everyone understands that is just part of making the successful journey to the moon and back,
Your life is the same. Along the way we want to makes adjustments. Things change all the time and we need a way to keep us on track.
A great way to do this is with a simple Progress Tracker. It's easy:
- Sign up and get the FREE Success Progress Tracker
- Write down all the things that you have decided you need to do in the month as steps to getting your long term personal success.
- Post it up on the fridge or somewhere you will see it everyday.
- Do the things you said you were going to do.
- Celebrate your success!!